birding-aus

Goodwill Season in Brisbane

Subject: Goodwill Season in Brisbane
From: Laurie & Leanne Knight <>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 17:54:36 +1000
It is the goodwill season in Brisbane right now, with the climax being
the opening of the goodwill pedestrian / cycle bridge from the botanical
gardens to southbank [and will speed up my commute to work].

One of the locals contributing to the spirit of goodwill is a black and
white fella we'll call Fred [I don't think there are any Freds on this
list, and if there are, there is no intentional resemblence to our
hero].

Fred lives by the cycle path not far from Stanley St.  He loves to greet
as many passing cyclists as possible and to pop air kisses in their
ears.  He is a bit of a shy lad though, and only likes to approach
cyclists from behind, rather than head on.  As far as I know he is yet
to do a Merv Hughes, and unlike some of his relations, he never calls
out before dropping in.

Fred's preferred MO catch a cyclist going one way [often down hill so it
is easier to maintain station by their left ear] and then catch one
going the other way.

It's been pretty busy for him this week, being cycle week and all that,
and sometimes he gets a bit confused when there are cyclists going in
both directions - he doesn't know who to say hello to.

I'm always one to share the goodwill around, so if I see a cyclist
labouring ahead of me, I don't go zooming past as I normally do, but sit
back and let them enjoy Fred's full attention.  [I must say that even
when I don't seem to change my rate of pedalling when Fred pops out, I
always seem to find his greetings a bit energy sapping].

I've noticed that Fred is not always on station by the path,
particularly when I am riding to work early in the morning.  I guess a
even a busy socialite like Fred has to have a feed sometime, and perhaps
he is sometimes off having brekkie or a smoko when I'm passing through.

I didn't see Fred today, but perhaps with all the [welcome] rain he was
off tending to his worm farm.

Regards, Laurie.

.