birding-aus

*Today the sky changed colour*

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: *Today the sky changed colour*
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 00:31:33 -0700 (PDT)
G'day All,

After an early morning phone call this a.m. I greeted
my olde work mate friends from BHP at my front door.
They thought they should phone me first to let me know
they were calling round after work to see if I was up?
they phoned at about three a.m. nice jokers eh hahaha
they wondered if I had been watching the world news,
:^D

Anyway as they drove into to driveway I noticed the
unmistakable call of Eastern Rosella's at about 0710
hours. Sounded like quite a few to we journeyed out
the back of where I live scanning the fruit tree's of
my neighbor's. Within minutes the sky was filled with
them, must have been at least 40 give or take a
couple. They have such a rare and beautiful call. Ten
minutes later they are off and replaced by Rainbow
Lorikeets of greater numbers.

A good day looms I thought?

After making brekky for my olde work mates I headed
off to a spot that I have been watching for a while
... due to the numbers of Weebils and small birds it
gets.
Luck still in, 7 weebil's amassed in one low hanging
tree, beauty.

On I went, although slowly, to the pier/jetty area
where the morning there greeted me with 31 Pelicans,
Masked Lapwing, and a variety of gulls. The bay looked
like a sheet of glass had been placed over it, so calm
and serene. All my other friends were there and
accounted for. Magpie numbers seem slightly up, as too
the magpie larks. I think Thelma, my near neighbour
who waved "Good morning", is getting her Kookaburra
alarm clock working better these days. She counted Mum
and Dad and two young at her feeding table.

Scratching my head I wondered what is this gathering
for? Robert or David's bird~day? nope ????? "Hey
Gammo, how olde are you now?" David shouted .... I
realised this was the first time I had seen my fine
friends due to their new shift pattern since the
beginning of last month .... and I wondered about
those that work shiftwork and look after the bay as it
we sleep.

I'd better toddle off now and give Eggy and Lee a bath
ready for their photo shoot tomorrow.

Aaaah it's spring .... Yours Southern JAG.