birding-aus

Baillon's Crakes

To: "birding Aus" <>
Subject: Baillon's Crakes
From: Goodfellow <>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2001 22:02:54 +0000
Hello All
There were half a dozen Baillon's Crakes at Fogg Dam a few weeks ago,
along with the usual White-browed Crakes and Jacana.

The occasional Mangrove Gerygone is still breeding at Leanyer Swamp, and
Red-headed Honeyeaters are nesting at the nearby sewage pond. A brave
pair of Brown Honeyeaters tried nesting in my front yard but the nest was
soon discovered by Rufous-banded, Red-headed, Dusky and White-gaped
Honeyeaters, all of whom decided they simply couldn't resist a peek. An
irate parent chased the Dusky grappling with it in mid-flight. Next day
the nest was abandoned.

My pond is popular at the moment, mostly with Rufous-banded Honeyeaters
who regularly take a dip.  Most of my native trees are infested with a
range of leaf-eating fauna.  They don't look particularly pretty but the
honeyeaters, Green-backed Gerygone and other birds are having a ball.

Zitting Cisticolas are quite easy to see well at this time of year.  I
usually go to Leanyer Swamp with a seat and and a flask of coffee, and
sit in the grass watching them and anything else that comes along eg
snakes. My Kunwinjku relatives think this is a bit strange - must be the
white side of my ancestry!  Heavens knows what they'd make of twitchers!
Denise

Denise Goodfellow  (Lawungkurr Maralngurra)

Follow these direct links to my work on the web:
Four Short Stories
http://www.2DocStock.com/shortstories/Index.html

Birds of Darwin Sketches
 HYPERLINK http://www.2DocStock.com/BirdsDarwin/Index.html
http://www.2DocStock.com/BirdsDarwin/Index.html

Birding & Natural History in the Far North
http://www.earthfoot.org/places/au002.htm

World Birding Event
http://www.earthfoot.org/birdweek/birdweek.htm