birding-aus

Yathong NR, Pink Cockatoos and where are the Striated Grasswrens?

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Yathong NR, Pink Cockatoos and where are the Striated Grasswrens?
From: Michael Todd <>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 20:23:49 +1000
Hello Birdos,

I spent the weekend braving gale force winds at Loughnan NR and then at Yathong NR both north of Hillston in central west NSW. No doubt due to the difficult conditions I didn't record a lot of birds but I did find Yathong NR to be a fascinating place.

Some of the more interesting birds on the weekend were:
Superb Parrot (2) near Goolgowi
Shy Heathwrens- 2 spots in Yathong NR
White-backed Swallow- 2 spots in Yathong NR.
White-fronted Honeyeater- 2 spots in Yathong NR.

Yathong is a large reserve with expanses of spinifex understorey, mallee overstorey especially on the sand dunes. At some of these spots Striated Grasswrens have been recorded in the past. However, recent records seem to be a bit thin on the ground. I'd love to hear from anyone who has recorded Striated Grasswrens in Central NSW. It would be good to know exactly where they are so that they can be monitored to assess how they are doing. I haven't scanned through Australian Birds yet but there may well be records that haven't made their way into the usual journals and anyway fairly exact locations are needed especially when you look at the size of Yathong NR!

My favourite sighting on the weekend was a loose flock of over 240 Pink Cockatoos in the Roto district. I've never seen Pink Cockatoos in numbers like this before. I saw single birds on quite a few occasions over the weekend, but my breath was taken away by the 240+ They were feeding on seeding and flowering herbs in groups of 5-20 birds separated by about 50 metres, on both sides of the road in open plain country with only scattered trees. Unlike corellas and galahs which tend to take flight when one bird calls the alarm these birds behaved as largely separate groups. If I approached one group too closely it would fly but the neighbouring groups would ignore them. There were probably more but I only counted those that I could see from standing on the bumper of my troopie. Considering how many birds there were they were really quiet.

Cheers,

Mick Todd
Griffith, NSW