birding-aus

Bougainville, 2001

Subject: Bougainville, 2001
From: Ronald Orenstein <>
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2001 12:11:35 -0400
At 03:43 AM 02/09/01 +1000, Andrew P Anderson wrote:
juvenile with very yellow gape, a rusty cap, lighter brown on the back
and tail and pale under with dark spots. This specimen is lso on the way
to Mary LeCroy in New York.
    Don showed me a third specimen in his freezer, an adult received
when nearly dead. Olive-brown nearly all over, very plain; must be very
hard to see in the highland rainforest. Total length about 4.5 to 5
inches, very short winged.

This is exactly what I would have expected. The description of the song of the odedi is highly reminiscent of that of a number of Cettia warblers, including the bush-warblers of Palau and Fiji. I suspect (sight unseen) that the odedi will turn out to be a member of this complex.

--
1825 Shady Creek Court
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada L5L 3W2