birding-aus

Swift Parrots in Geelong

Subject: Swift Parrots in Geelong
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2001 01:14:26 +1200
Hi all

Lately I haven't had time to do more than look at whatever is outside  the car
when I'm going to & from work, so it's rather encouraging that the birds have
come to me instead of me having to look for them.

Today at Cameron Close in Geelong Grammar School (at Corio, northern outskirts
of Geelong, Vic) I recorded at least two Swift Parrots.  They were flying south
and calling - I only saw one bird but heard another a few seconds behind the
first - I couldn't get a glimpse of the second to determine if there were more
than two birds.  That was about 3pm.

There was also a Pallid Cuckoo beside Limeburner's Lagoon (The Swifties
encouraged me to take the family for a walk in the sun) - I'd heard one call a
couple of weeks ago before dawn.

The Magpies are starting to think about swooping around here, so I guess Spring
isn't too far off - but I have to agree with Lawrie C that we are still in late
Winter, despite what the calendar says.  It's that glorious season when the
nights can be quite cold but some days are warm and sunny - with a few days
like last  Saturday when it's just plain ugly out in the wind and rain.  Well,
that's Victoria for you.

Russell Woodford

http://web.shc.melb.catholic.edu.au/music/auralonline.html