birding-aus

Bats eat birds

Subject: Bats eat birds
From: Paul Taylor <>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 10:41:42 +1000
Brian Fleming wrote:

> Last week's New Scientist no 2303 (11 Aug 2001)p.23 carried the
> following report:
> "IN-FLIGHT SNACKS
> A giant species of European bat regularly dines on birds - a first for
> the bat world.
> Carlos Ibanez from the Donana Biological Station, Spain, and his team
> looked at 14,000 fecal pellets from Nyctalus lasiopterus.
[snip]

> Queries arise: 1. How big is this species of bat?

According to some webpages I found, the Greater Noctule
(Nyctalus lasiopterus) has a wingspan of 46 cm, and weighs 41-76g.
The Australian Ghost Bat (Macroderma gigas) it twice as heavy
(140-160g.)

>   2. I know the Australian Ghost Bat can and does capture small
> mammals, lizards etc, caught on the ground. Are there any records
> of it taking small birds - presumably from roost sites?

Again, there are a number of web pages which list "small birds up
to the size of a dove or small pigeon" as part of the Ghost Bats
diet.  I couldn't find any reference to how they catch the birds.