birding-aus

Bats eat birds

To: "Birding Aus" <>, "Brian Fleming" <>
Subject: Bats eat birds
From: "Bill Jolly" <>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 10:35:55 +1000
Anthea Fleming's posting about the bat, Nyctalus lasiopterus, which has been
eating birds, sent me to my bookshelf eager to learn more.

I could only find an answer to one of Anthea's questions. The size of this
bat was given as up to 102mm body-length, plus 66mm tail length. Not so very
big!

At the time my reference was published (1967) it recorded that practically
nothing was known about the biology of n. lasiopterus which was then known
from only a few individuals in Spain and elsewhere.

Look forward to hearing more....

Bill Jolly

"Abberton",
Lockyer Valley, Queensland.

Visit our website at http://www.abberton.org

Email:
Ph: (+61) 7 4697 6111  Fax: (+61) 7 4697 6056