birding-aus

1080

To: <>
Subject: 1080
From: "Scott O'Keeffe" <>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 12:39:54 +1000
Good evening, LK.

Your observations of turkey mounds and young do not translate into an
absence of predation. I quote from a study by Jones and Everding:  "the
large number of mounds (in some suburban areas)does not necessarily
correlate with large numbers of recruits".  They go on to state that
hatching success from suburban mounds is lower than in wild mounds, and that
mortality of hatchlings is high.  Eggs and hatchlings are probably more
vulnerable to predation than adults.  Thus, if adults live for many years,
it may appear as if the birds are "holding their own".  If eggs are not
hatching, or if there is little recruitment of new birds because young are
taken before they mature, older birds may persist for years, then suddenly,
populations may disappear as old birds die.  The study lists a number of
populations in urbanised areas of Brisbane that have disappeared.  The
weight of evidence shows that Brush Turkeys in urban areas are vulnerable.
I have lived in an area where Turkeys are seen daily;  there are several
mounds in use in my street.  I have been making careful observations of the
birds here for years.  Adult birds have maintained local mounds, and laid in
them.  However, on only 2 occasions in the last 5 years have I seen any
chicks.  In both instances, chicks were seen for several days only, and not
seen again.  I have never seen any immature or juvenile birds.  Only adults.
I have however, seen a cat taking a chick, and I have seen a chick run over
by a lawn mower.  The only birds in this street are adults.  I do not expect
them to be replaced by young growing up in this area.  If adult birds die
and happen to be replaced, I expect this to occur when juveniles move out of
the forest areas on the flanks of Mt Coot-ha, along creeks and gullies.

Not that it matters too much, because it does not affect what I have said
about foxes, but... personnel from BCC animal control have quoted a figure
of about 50,000 dogs in Brisbane.

Scott O'Keeffe