birding-aus

Freckled Duck

To: "" <>
Subject: Freckled Duck
From: "Knight, Joy L" <>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 10:01:44 +1000

Yesterday at Edithvale Wetlands Bird Hide we were privileged to observe a pair of Freckled Duck quietly feeding and sleeping within metres of the Hide. The birds were there and had been identified by the volunteer on duty when I arrived for my shift at 3 o'clock. I tried to ring around all those I knew would be interested but as it was a fantastic day all the birdos were out, so I left answering machine messages.

At about 4 o'clock there was a disturbance in the reeds to the right of the Hide and another Freckled Duck emerged followed by a pair of Blue Billed Ducks. This was very close to the Hide and we certainly did not need our binoculars to witness the Blue Bills sitting on top of the Freckled Duck amid much flapping of wings - chasing it out of their territory? trying to drown it? mating behaviour?

These three ducks eventually swam  to the far South end of the Wetlands and we lost sight of them, but the original pair remained quietly snoozing at the edge of the reeds. They were still there when we locked the Hide at 5 o'clock.

Important - This email and any attachments may be confidential. If received in error, please contact us and delete all copies. Before opening or using attachments check them for viruses and defects. Regardless of any loss, damage or consequence, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or not, resulting directly or indirectly from the use of any attached files our liability is limited to resupplying any affected attachments. Any representations or opinions expressed are those of the individual sender, and not necessarily those of the Department of Education Employment and Training.