birding-aus

Bowra revisited

To: <>
Subject: Bowra revisited
From: "Reg Oakley" <>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 20:22:07 +1000
I was interested to read David Geering's report of his return to "Bowra". His original report last year inspired us to go there shortly afterwards. His birdlist for the first visit was 100 species.

We revisited "Bowra" last June and the list was then 166 species. For the first two days of our second visit, Grey Headed Honeyeaters were quite common around the homestead, then they disappeared. In a flock of Mallee Ringnecks we saw what looked like a Cloncurry Ringneck, but how did it get there?

We had a lovely restful week there; some days we had two morning teas. On the way home to Melbourne, travelling south on the Kidman Way between Bourke and Cobar we stopped for lunch 200 metres down the graded track that goes to Byrock. Within 50 metres we saw a party of Varied Sitellas, two White Browed Treecreepers and a party of White Browed Babblers. For us that was very good value for lunchtime.

Reg Oakley