birding-aus

Camooweal and Square-tailed Kite

To: "Messages Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Camooweal and Square-tailed Kite
From: "Bob Forsyth" <>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 18:19:47 +1000
g'day all,

Last week, after several days atlassing in the NT with friends, I stayed over at Camooweal, NW Qld,  to recheck out a few sites (and incidentally overcame a severe alcohol deficiency)

Lakes Francis and Canellan on the Georgina River (1-1/2 km from town) offered the normal excellent variety of birds.
They are accessed via an unsignposted, gravel track 50 meters east of the Georgina River causeway.
This time 32 species. A couple of dozen Brolgas were feeding alongside the Barkly Hwy causeway.
2 pair Green Pygmy-goose were swimming through the lily's.
I recommend that Birdo's passing thru the town stop and check out these lakes.
I can not think of a better place to boil the billy before leaving for the NT.

At the Old Nowranie waterhole 14 km south of town, on the Urandangie road, I recorded 41 species.
I was fortunate to have the S-t Kite in close view for 20 minutes.
This is the same water hole where 2 years ago, I recorded Freckled Ducks....at the limit of their range.

The Camooweal Caves N.P. road has been given a grade and is now capable of accepting a caravan.
The camping area is 24km from town and the surrounds are very dry.
Only 24 species this time. Pictorella Mannikins were recorded here my last visit.

Even the town environs (including the sewage ponds) provided 16 species.
Unfortunately one of these was a dead White-browed Woodswallow being eaten by the hotel cat.

Both Aust Ravens and Torresian Crows are present to make Corvid ident a bit of a challenge.

Anyone proceeding west should record the House Sparrow which has reached Barkly Homestead in the NT.
We recorded it at Gallipoli Stn (NNW of Camooweal)   It arrived Mount Isa 1964-65.

Regards, Bob Forsyth, Mount Isa, NW Qld.