birding-aus

Magpie swooping RFI, life is ......

To: Peter Lansley <>
Subject: Magpie swooping RFI, life is ......
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 18:28:52 -0700 (PDT)
G'day Bill and Peter,

I saw what you asked for in the reply but thought you
and others might like this read? I think I'll be able
to help out re: magpie/human and other pets
interaction etc etc. No I'm not a Collingwood
supporter ... "I love my Hawks". I had a phone cawl
last night from Tony Russell in Adelaide and I told
Tony about "Eggy", so named due to what I have raised
her from .... closed eyes, constant open beak, well it
sure felt like it to me, no feathers and thanking GOD
for Heinz baby foods and small plastic syringes. Many
interesting events have occured with us. Her latest
trick she has learned all by herself is to be my
secretary? when I'm outside in the backyard hanging
out clothes or in another room and the phone rings she
very quickly flies to the phone and using her beak
gently dislodges the handset from the reciever? it
usually then either crashes on the floor or rolls and
rests on it's side near the phone. It's puzzled me as
a few times that she has done this, when I was in an
adjacent room, I heard it happen and within a split
second she started wardling into the handset? I have
proof to this event happening .... and I think Tony
Russell of this list will verify and be a phone
witness?

How does she know it's not a crank adle-aid cawl?

Also as I was at one stage of my life involved with
the equal oportunity act. I ask you should I pay her
MAGpie-see-mum wages.

Sorry about that .....

Drop me a line, give me a cawl? if you dare :^D

John A. Gamblin
Peter Lansley <> wrote:

Hi all,
At Birds Australia we have had a request for info on
magpie/human interactions, especially dive-bombing
incidents. Details below. I seem to recall a thread
about this in the last year or two on birding-aus, so
maybe someone out there can contribute again. Please
reply to Bill Bachman directly <>

Australian Geographic magazine is planning a feature
on magpies. Publication will be sometime in 2002, with
most of the research, writing and photography to take
place in Victoria in the spring of this year. The
budget will probably restrict photography mainly to
greater Melbourne and selected areas in NE Victoria,
but other areas of Victoria will be considered.

Photographer Bill Bachman is looking for interesting
examples of magpie behaviour - ie, interaction with
humans and pets, notable habits or quirks (including
dive-bombing) - in short, anything that would offer
good photographic possibilities under reasonably
controlled circumstances, such as in someone's
backyard, or in a park or farm situation. In fact, any
examples of magpie-mania will be considered - maybe
someone out there has a magpie mailbox or a family of
magpies that live in the house or share the dog's bed,
or whatever.

If you can help, please contact Bill directly at the
address below. Thanks for whatever leads you can
offer.

Bill Bachman & Associates P/L
55 Mayston St
East Hawthorn Victoria 3123