birding-aus

Caloundra Sandbanks, SEQ, 19.7.01

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Caloundra Sandbanks, SEQ, 19.7.01
From: jilldening <>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 16:02:29 +1000
Hello Everyone,

For wader watchers, below are the results of yesterday's weekly Caloundra sandbanks survey. Crested Tern numbers are the highest so far for the season, though still unremarkable (having remarked!). A lone Curlew Sandpiper (non-breeding plumage) was a surprise, because we have not had any overwintering on the sandbanks. The Sooty Oystercatchers are residents from around the corner on the rocky headland. I was puzzled by a flock of small terns which flew in low over the water after sunset. I guess they could have been Commons - yes, most likely, although we have only seen the odd single Common Tern in recent weeks. It was a corker of an evening - calm, clear. From our final survey point we have a perfect view of the sun setting over the Glasshouse Mountains, reminding us week after week that we live in one of the most beautiful spots on the planet. The citizens of Caloundra remain largely ignorant of the thousands of birds which use the adjacent sandbanks, and usually assume our tripods and scopes are for photography. We are approached by so many people that we now hand out a summary of our project and why we are doing it, because we are often too busy counting to be able to engage in conversation. Some are interested, others go eye-glazed and sigh with disappointment when we mention birds.

Cheers

Jill

TOTAL NUMBER OF SPECIES    22
TOTAL NUMBER OF BIRDS    4199