birding-aus

The Three Lakes Victoria

To: "Birding- aus" <>
Subject: The Three Lakes Victoria
From: "Shirley Cameron" <>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 17:49:33 +1000
Werribee Wagtails had a super day on the Bellarine Peninsula today.  Winter
in Victoria can be delightful. No wind, pale sunshine and great venues.
We started at Lake Victoria; Banded Stilts (only 4) are still there.
>From the Lighthouse we saw Gannets & Pacific Gull..
On to Lake Lorne near Drysdale, the Blue Billed Duck were in the same spot
as last year, there was a Shoveler with them.
Down Moolap Station Road to Reedy Lake.  Very wet.  Lots of Marsh Harriers
and as we were driving out, nearly to Townsend Rd., we saw the 3 brolgas
near a dam.  What a magic way to complete a day.  Our total from Werribee
was 57 species.

This time tomorrow I will be in Cairns.  I'll log off Birding Aus until the
beginning of August.

The Freckled Duck were exactly as I was told, in dead trees near the first
artificial platform in the middle of Lake Borrie.

Thank you all for your encouragement and advice re Reedy Lake and the Duck.
Now Bush birding will be fun!

Shirley Cameron