birding-aus

1 july big birdwatch

To: "" <>
Subject: 1 july big birdwatch
From: Margaret Cameron <>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2001 11:40:28 +1000
As some people sent their lists to me instead of, or as well as, to birdsaustralia (which i can't get access to just yet), or put them on birding-aus, I can give a first report on this event

At bedtime last night 195 species had been reported, earning $390 sponsorship. Of these 9 are in the Action Plan for Endangered Birds, earning an extra $27. Special thanks to Tonia Cochran for 4 Action Plan birds - Inala on Bruny Island is clearly a great base for Tas birding - and Una Stephenson and Cairns BOCA for 2.

There are a couple of good contenders for the Big Day prize (donated by Andrew Isles Nat Hist Books) and one under 11 birder had a terrific day which still included time for an afternoon nap (and for his father to get bogged!). I'm not revealing the numbers for these efforts yet, suspense is more fun, but don't hesitate to send in your list thinking you can't possibly win, you might!

I will accept lists in any form or order (even faxed handwritten as long as it is legible). A faxed marked-up list of Atlas species (the one you got in your Atlas kit) might work. If you're posting your list in, send it to Birds Australia National Office, 415 Riversdale Road, Hawthorn East, Vic 3123 clearly marked Big Day, and send it now if you want to be in the competition.

If anyone tried to fax in results to 03 5229 1520, it wasn't working on Sunday night because i didn't close the lid properly after checking it had enough paper(!)

Thanks to everyone who took part.

Margaret

Margaret Cameron

4 Connor Street