birding-aus

Irruption of Honeyeaters - Barham District

To: <>
Subject: Irruption of Honeyeaters - Barham District
From: "John Nankervis" <>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 09:39:05 +1000
Last Friday I went out with an old birding friend, Peter Disher to his nephew's farmlet on the outskirts of Barham N.S.W to look at honeyeaters feeding in a flowering eucalypt. (The lateness of this report is due to my computer having been at the doctor's.)

In this one tree we saw the following:

White Plumed Honeyeater
Noisy Miner
Spiny Cheeked Honeyeater
Singing Honeyeater
Striped Honeyeater

Nothing exciting about the first two!  As previously mentioned by Chris Colborn, Spiny Cheeked Honeyeaters have been quite common this year in Northern Victoria/South Western New South Wales.  The closest I have previously seen Singing Honeyeaters is at Lake Tutchewop near Swan Hill.  As for the Striped Honeyeater they are more of a Mallee bird and it is unusual to see them this far east.

John Nankervis