birding-aus

Bell Miners in central Victoria

To: <>
Subject: Bell Miners in central Victoria
From: "J & C Krohn" <>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 21:57:37 +1000
Stayed overnight in Castlemaine, central Victoria, with work, and got out in the -1 degree dawn for a bit of therapeutic birding.  Plenty of Thornbills - Brown, Striated, Yellow and Buff-rumped, plus Weebills - in the canopy of the heavily modified woodland a couple of kilometres north-east of town beside the Midland Highway (road to Harcourt).  Then a familiar call to a Melburnian, so familiar that the first couple of times I barely noticed it, before realising that the "tink" of Bell Miners didn't belong up here.  After a bit of a search I tracked them down in some roadside woodland with a dense shrubby understorey, next to a drainage line.  I had clear views of at least a pair, and I'm fairly confident there was one other bird, and possibly even two.  Anyone in the area might like to go and check - the site was just north of the intersection of Midland Highway and Sawmill Road, on the way towards Harcourt.  The birds were on the west side of the road (opposite the 129 km post on the adjacent railway line), and were visible from the road verge (and audible from well the far side of the railway line.  I will be submitting an Atlas sheet and a USR.

Has anybody else recently come across Bell Miners to the north of west of their regular range?

Regards,

    Jack Krohn