birding-aus

Louisiana Swamps

To: Birding-Oz <>
Subject: Louisiana Swamps
From: Timothy Hyde <>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 08:16:22 +1000
Just back online
after a quick trip to Louisina and Mississippi
where we managed to squeeze in one short day
of birding after our conference.

We hooked up with birding friends
and got into the Honey Island Swamp area
of the West Pearl River.

This is one of the prime search areas
for the sadly lost Ivory Woodpecker.
Also home of BigFoot, both of which
were not seen. Predictably I guess.

Not as predictable was getting two
amazing sightings of the beautiful
Swallow Tailed Kite as it hunted low over the swamps.

Other highlights  -
Adding three more Woodpeckers to our USA list
(though dipping on our target Piliated)
The Prothonotary Warbler, numerous sightings
including a nesting bird in its nest hollow
( a small tree stump protruding just inchs
above the swamp level).

The Cajun guide on our Swamp Tour was a hoot
and fairly bird savvy and would recommend the
experience for anyone visiting the deep south.

Contact me if you need further info.

Heading out to Capertee for the weekend
will report whats around next week.

Timothy Hyde