birding-aus

Wader Habitat Rehablitation

To: Phil Rankin <>, birding-aus <>
Subject: Wader Habitat Rehablitation
From: jilldening <>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 13:43:52 +1000
 Phil Rankin  27/5/01 10:07 AM

Does anybody know of any cases where mangroves have been deliberately removed from an area, other than because the area is about to be developed.

Phil,

I believe I may be able to help you. I also believe it is of interest for others, and have chosen to reply via the list. I have been dealing with this situation in the Pumicestone Passage, SEQld for some time. I can give you an excellent example of mangroves having been destroyed for development, and the degraded site then became a critically important wader roost. I will send the article to you separately so as not to clog up the list, but anyone can ask me for it. It refers to the process of working with the developer to relocate waders from the roost (the degraded cleared development site), but it also encompasses what you are seeking. We (the Qld Wader Study Group in conjunction with Pacific Harbour) have also produced a Management Plan for Waders in the southern Pumicestone Passage, which refers to the problem of mangrove growth on roosts. It is not publicly available, but I may be able to get you a copy if you need it - not sure on that one. Maybe the relevant part electronically. There is also Wayne Lawler's book on roost building, which lays out what each species needs.

Additionally I have been watching the decreased>nil use of a different roost because of mangrove regrowth. (Admittedly  I haven't been able to get to this roost for a while.) It is simple - waders MUST HAVE a sense of security at a roost, an escape route, a visual path of escape, and mangroves can block that perception. There are degrees of perception of security, and it is not cut and dried. Waders certainly behave differently at different roosts, depending upon their sense of security.

Give me a ring if you want to talk about this further. Meanwhile I will send the article, which I published recently in a local environmental rag.

Cheers,

Jill

--
Jill Dening
Sunshine Coast, Qld

Please note that this is a new email address.
(Check that you do not reply to which has been cancelled.)