birding-aus

Wader Habitat Rehablitation

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Wader Habitat Rehablitation
From: Phil Rankin <>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 20:07:34 -0400

Does anybody know of any cases where mangroves have been deliberately removed
from an area, other than because the area is about to be developed.  We'd like
to be able to persuade our local powers-that-be to remove a small number of
mature mangrove trees from an area that used to be an important roosting site
for migratory waders. We believe that this removal is an important step needed
in encouraging waders to come back to the Hunter River estuary, where wader
numbers have declined substantially in recent years.  The number and quality of
their roosting sites have declined considerably, as a consequence of general
development coupled with the spread of mangroves and of weeds.  We believe the
problems with roosting sites is a major factor in the decline in wader numbers
(although we do recognise that the decline is not only a local issue as there
are also effects occurring in the Flyway, that are outside of our control)

It would be extremely useful to be able to point to other instances where the
removal of either mature or young mangroves has been done, and to be able to
state what kind of outcomes occurred - either positive or negative ones.  So,
if you have any information that could be relevant, please let me know.  I
suggest that you reply to me directly rather than through birding-aus.

Phillip Rankin
Hunter Bird Observers Club
Email: