birding-aus

Sydney bird biodiversity

To: <>
Subject: Sydney bird biodiversity
From: "Dion Hobcroft" <>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 16:01:36 +1000
Yes it is true that Sydney is one of the most biodiverse bird regions in
Australia. I have kept a tally of birds I have recorded in Sydney county
(County of Cumberland) since 1978 which now totals 352 species. I know there
are others who have seen more. This diversity is primarily due to the
variety of habitats and Sydney's unique geographic location where the
temperate zone birds merge with subtropical species. Inland birds hit the
coast in drought years and with many sharp eyed birders who report what they
find other birders can benefit from quick reporting.

Some years birders partaking in County listing have totals of over 260. Of
course there are many vagrants in the list but they still made it to Sydney.
Declines are obvious in woodland birds (Turquoise Parrot, Hooded Robin,
Brown Treecreeper, Southern Whiteface, Diamond Firetail are all very
rare-extinct in the County) and shorebirds (Hindwood and McGill used to get
small flocks of Broad-billed Sandpipers in the 60-70's). Up in numbers would
include Channel-billed Cuckoo, Pacific Baza, Brush Turkey and many seabirds.
So living with 4 million people does not lead to a total eradication of bird
diversity.

Happy birding

Dion