birding-aus

Brown Quail

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Brown Quail
From: "Marlene Lyell" <>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 20:30:22 +1000
Hi All,

  While on the subject of Brown Quail, thought I'd post the following sighting, although 4 years "out of date"!  Atlas coordinators may be interested.
  Whilst travelling south down the Canning Stock Route in 1997, we detoured 20K's east into the Calvert Ranges (23 57.0S  122.43.0E) where I was fortunate to locate a Brown Quail.
To cut a rather long story short, when I joined birding-aus late last year, I contacted Frank O'Connor (most prominent WA correspondent I could find) who suggested that Ron Johnstone from the WA Museum Ornithology Department might be interested in the sighting.
After I forwarded video footage and stills, which included the bird calling, the sighting was accepted. I had extended the range by approximately 400k's. That's a great thrill.
Happy birding all
Marlene