birding-aus

Crested Shrike-tit in northern Sydney

To: <>
Subject: Crested Shrike-tit in northern Sydney
From: "David and Sofia Frew" <>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 19:51:29 +1000

Hi everyone,

This morning we went on our regular walk through Mowbray Park, a narrow reserve on the Lane Cove River, west of Chatswood in northern Sydney. The usual suspects were seen as well as excellent views of a group of 4 Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoos, which are uncommon but regular winter visitors.

More unusual was a Crested Shrike-tit, keeping close company with a White-throated Treecreeper.  This was our first sighting of a CST in the 4 years that we have been surveying this site. Previously we have seen this species at several locations in the outer western and north-western suburbs and at Cumberland SF at West Pennant Hills, but no closer than this to the Sydney CBD.  Does anyone else have records for CST in this area?

Although only about 15 hectares in size, and suffering in parts from exotic weeds, Mowbray Park has a surprising diversity of birds -- our cumulative total is now 86 species, although only about half this number are resident here.

Regards,

David and Sofia

David & Sofia Frew
Lane Cove, NSW, Australia