birding-aus

Bar-shouldered Doves

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Bar-shouldered Doves
From: "Bill Moorhead" <>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 19:10:39 +1000
Hi all,
A word of caution regarding the possibility of native Bar-shouldered Doves pushing out introduced Spotted Turtledoves.
Both species are common in Bundaberg and district.There is considerable overlap .But the BSD's prefer the more vegetated
and natural type environment whether it be in a garden or not;whereas the STD's prefer the more urbanized habitat.
My advice to anyone or council etc would be to encourage endemic vegetation where ever possible.
This should help the BSD's with their 'push' into new territory and inhibit the STD's.Obviously different areas will have their own relevant issues but the cry of "plant native endemic and do it often", will help our native birds and animals across the board.
Interestingly ,BSD's don't seem to associate with STD's but when they do interact (in my experience) then they seem to get on OK.
This is a bit of a problem,I think, if there is a chance of either forcing the other out by way of some form of aggression.The BSD's very often associate with both Peacful Doves and Crested Pidgeons but rarely STD's.
All the best,
Bill
PS. Also ,can someone give Mr.Gamlin something productive to do?