birding-aus

BOP Skull

Subject: BOP Skull
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 15:15:01 +1100
Hi everyone

A colleague who is a biology teacher showed me a nice little skull today - a bird of prey, amazingly intact, with just about all the lower mandible and everything. I was surprised how big it was - maybe 7 or 8 cm long and 4 or 5 wide (I'm hopeless at guessing distances).

Can anyone please tell us what measurements to take to be able to identify the species? I think it looks like a peregrine falcon, but I've been wrong with a live bird once or twice (!!) so I'd take my ID of the skull with a grain of salt.

It was found near the Geelong Grammar School property boundary, not far from the western shores of Corio Bay. The BOPs I've recorded in the area include:

BS Kite
Whistling Kite
Swamp harrier
Little Eagle
Brown Goshawk
N Kestrel
Brown Falcon
Australian Hobby
Peregrine Falcon
Black Falcon (a few Km away)

Is he allowed to keep the skull? At home? In a school biol lab as a teaching aid?

Thanks

Russell