birding-aus

Pink Lakes, NW Victoria

Subject: Pink Lakes, NW Victoria
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 22:28:30 +1100
I spent a couple of pleasant days up in the NW Victorian Mallee over the long weekend (sorry to the rest of Australia, but I think this one was Vic only). Actually, I spent a couple of days behind the wheel, it seems, driving up from Geelong early on Sunday and back Monday evening, but I still managed a good bit of birding in a remarkable part of the country. Everything was VERY dry - I didn't see any water at all at Pink Lakes (West of Ouyen) apart from some slightly damp salty mud on the edges of some lakes. I was there from 3pm to 8 pm and dipped on most of the mallee 'specialties', but had a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon. It was about 30 degrees, still and almost entirely cloudless skies. For anyone heading this way, check the weather - my Subaru AWD had no trouble with the sandy tracks, but some spots would have been more interesting in a 2WD. After decent rain this place would be very treacherous in 4WD and impassable in anything less.

Bird List:

Nankeen Kestrel
Crested Pigeon
Galah
Australian Ringneck
Blue Bonnet
Red-rumped Parrot
Spotted Pardalote
Inland Thornbill
Southern Whiteface
Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater
Yellow-throated Miner
White-eared Honeyeater
Yellow-plumed Honeyeater
Jacky Winter Red-capped Robin
Hooded Robin
Chestnut Quail-thrush (m, f, and juv together)
Crested Bellbird
Golden Whistler
Grey Shrike-thrush
Restless Flycatcher
Magpie-lark
Willie Wagtail
Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike
Grey Butcherbird
Australian Magpie
Australian Raven
Richard's Pipit
Welcome Swallow

Got some great sunset pics with the Sony Mavica I was test driving

Cheers

Russell Woodford