birding-aus

Re:Australian Bustard Decline

To: "Scott O'Keeffe" <>
Subject: Re:Australian Bustard Decline
From: Peter Cheuwon <>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 00:55:34 +1030
There does isn't much evidence that Bustards have actually declined recently or
even
during the past 40 years, except perhaps near the extremity of their range
close to
denser, human population areas.  It is more likely
that they are holding their own in most areas although I agree, we must be ever
vigilant.  What are the Atlas comparisons?

>From one observation by Robert Reid re a possible decline of Bustards near
>Alice
Springs, in just a couple of days there has been a rapid acceptance that they
are in
crisis nationally.  Is it possible that the herd mentality not only exists in
financial markets?

Throughout the Kimberley and Top End there are vast areas where access is
difficult
and impacts from hunting and even grazing is minimal. This applies also to the
The
Tanami, Gibson, Great Victoria, Simpson, Tirrari, Strzelecki and Sturts Stony
Desert
as well as the Channel Country, Cooper Basin and also the Barkley Tableland.
In these places there are vast reserves of protected breeding habitat where
hunting
is not permitted or is insignificant and the only real limiting factor are
prevailing
climatic conditions.  Yes Scott, Bustards are "slow breeders".   Normally a few
years
old before they are successful, they lay only one egg when good seasonal
conditions
occur, so their reproductive potential is low compared to many other birds,
such as
most other waterfowl.

Its possible that increased predation is occurring where rabbits have declined
due to
the introduction of Caleci Virus.  The recent biological control of rabbits has
removed a major food source for foxes, cats and dingoes, but lets not jump the
gun
here, lets have a proper look first.   What actions are you suggesting Scott
when you
say to apply the "precautionary principle" to Bustard conservation?  How about
giving
us some examples.

Peter Cheuwon