birding-aus

Australian Owlet-Nightjar

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Australian Owlet-Nightjar
From: "Trevor Hampel" <>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 23:08:11 +1030
Hi there birders,

Over many years of birding I have suspected that Owlet Nightjars are merely strange noises in the dark. Never have I set eyes on one, save for a fleeting ghostly movement out of the corner of an eye.

The characteristic noises of the O-Nightjar have teased me on many occasions around my home, but without a really convincing sighting. I have even followed the sounds for ages at places like Hattah Lakes but without success.

Imagine my excitement last Friday night when the typical nightjar noise comes from the tree a mere 5 metres from our back door. A quick grab of a torch revealed close up views (at about 3 metres) of an Australian Owlet-Nightjar; I didn't realise they were so tiny. My wife even had time to join me before it flew off.

Birding is a thoroughly enjoyable diversion when given such wonderful and unexpected delights such as this.

Happy birding,

Trevor Hampel
Murray Bridge,
South Australia