birding-aus

Wedge Tailed Eagles

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Wedge Tailed Eagles
From: "Trevor Hampel" <>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 22:46:11 +1030
I have been keeping monthly lists of the birds seen on our 2 hectare block of land here in Murray Bridge (80 km SE of Adelaide) for some 16 years (weekly for the last 3 years).

I have always been amazed that I have never recorded WT Eagles flying over head, even though they are moderately common throughout the mallee areas of Sth Aust. I have seen them nesting some 20 kms north of here.

I was just returning from my evening walk tonight when I saw an eagle soaring very high overhead. These old legs of mine broke into an unaccustomed sprint over the last 50 metres to get the binoculars.

Sure enough, it was a WT Eagle, the first I've recorded on the home block in all those years of observing (my rule is - if it flies overhead I count it).

Happy birding,

Trevor Hampel
Murray Bridge