birding-aus

Eyre Sea

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Eyre Sea
From: "Paul Taylor" <>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 23:43:02 +1100
[snip]
> In Australia I have lived now for many years and in year 2000 I travel to
> Eyre Sea which I see full of water and birds. It like Aral Sea so much it
> make me feel young and like back at my beloved Barsakelmes Island.
>
> I return only one month past to see it shrived and dry like dead prune.
[snip]
> I want to know who is responsible for such horror that been made so fast.

This is a natural phenomenon.

Lake Eyre has been a dry salt lake for 50000 years (or more);  only in
exceptional years (only three or four times every century) does Lake Eyre
fill with water.

There have been suggestions to divert rainfall from the tropics into
Lake Eyre to permanently fill it (e.g. www.aig.asn.au/lake_eyre.htm);
I believe that such a scheme would be as destructive as the draining of
the Aral Sea.