birding-aus

Re: Fw: [BIRDING-AUS] Frigatebird ID

To: Niven <>
Subject: Re: Fw: [BIRDING-AUS] Frigatebird ID
From: David James <>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 11:00:42 +1000
Hi Niven,

Indeed the photo of on p. 471 of the Seabirds NPIAW (Lindsey 1986) is a Great Frigatebird, not a Least as labelled. It is a female most likely in its third year (second basic plumage). Females in second year (first basic) have a more rounded belly patch with traces of black mottling around the vent where this bird has a big black intrusion from the vent making a U-shape in the rear of the belly patch. The pale, untidy mottling around the head and throat are the last traces of immaturity.

You are correct that Least shows white axillary spurs in ALL plumages. However, about a third of 1st year (juvenile) and 2nd year Greats also have white axillary spurs (see p. 465 of NPIAW and photos 395 and 396 in Harrisson 1987), which is perhaps the biggest ID pitfall for these 2 species. Least show more black on the throat in all plumages except juvenile and the early stages of second year (first basic).

Happily and surprisingly, p. 471 appears to be the only misidentified frigatebird photo in NPIAW. However, there's something funny about the photo on p. 469. Even when you turn it up the right way its a terrible photo. Harrison's Frigatebirds are all correctly labbelled as far as I can tell. There are no photos of Least in Enticott & Tippling 1997 (Photographic Handbook of the Seabirds of the World; Hamliyn). The four photos labelled Lesser, and all from Lady Elliot Island on the GBR, are actually all Greaters. The last of these is even mis-sexed.

A word of warning: stay away from Harrison 1983 (Seabirds an Identification Guide) for frigatebirds; it's a complete disaster, bearing little resemblance to reality.

cheers