birding-aus

Re: Serendipity

To: "Scott O'Keeffe" <>, "Steve Clark" <>, "birding aus" <>
Subject: Re: Serendipity
From: "Philip A. Veerman" <>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 15:39:35 +1100
Scott & Steve,
Scott's comments are quite correct. I haven't seen the article but I suspect that the newsworthiness could be that someone has recently rediscovered that someone called Allee, decades ago, documented principles that are now being re-established independently. Not that his observations are different from new knowledge but that it is now thought that the "new" knowledge is not so new after all and so it is a pity that these principles were "discredited and largely forgotten". The path of science has many twists like this.

Just like the genetic discoveries by Gregor Mendell were totally ignored for about 80 years (or lesser but still a real long time), even though they would have been of immense value to Charles Darwin, who never was aware of them.

Philip