birding-aus

New Zealand locations

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: New Zealand locations
From: "Irene" <>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 11:18:06 +1100
Had enquiries regarding locations following my NZ trip posting, so here's the
answers:

Monkey Creek for Blue Duck:  This is on the main road between Homer Tunnel
(south of Milford Sound) and Lake Gunn.  All
creeks, streams and rivers in NZ are well signposted.  This creek has the
rounded boulders common to NZ streams and with the
Blue Duck being a bit of a duller blue-green and brown that could blend in from
a distance, be careful to scan the area well.
With a telescope however, the lovely pattern on the breast is a delight.  I
searched many rivers during my time there and
this was the only place I found Blue Duck.

Lake Gunn:  same road, approximately 70km north of Te Anau Downs.  Cascade
Creek nature trail well signposted.  As well as
Rifleman, I saw my first Yellow-crowned Parakeet and South Island Robin here.

Note that the road from Te Anau Downs through to Milford Sound is slow going,
particularly at the northern end with S-bends
and hairpin bends etc., and Homer Tunnel is amazing (not what I expected).
Allow a minimum 1.5 hours to do the 90 km if
you're driving to Milford Sound to meet a cruise.  But the area is so scenic,
allow a full day by the time you do the walks,
take photos of the stunning scenery and check out areas for birds etc.

Kaikoura:  NE coast of South Island about 2 hours drive south of Picton, or 3
hours drive north of Christchurch.  This is
also the place for whale and dolphin trips (these and the pelagics go to
different parts of the ocean).  Pelagics can be
booked with Ocean Wings on email

Swan Lagoon, Ohau:  half way between Twizel and Omarama (South Island) is a
place called Clearburn, with a west-heading road
to Lake Ohau.  Along here was Swan Lagoon and other lagoons.  This was the
first place I saw hybrid Pied/Black Stilt, raising
my hopes that Black Stilt had to be nearby somewhere (I was right as I found
the Black Stilt only 30 km away!)

Happy times with nature to you all.

Irene Denton
Concord West, 12 km from Sydney city, NSW Australia
33 50 17 S     151 05 25 E