birding-aus

Cannon Netting and Mist Nets - longish

To: "" <>
Subject: Cannon Netting and Mist Nets - longish
From: Brian Fleming <>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 15:53:31 +1100
I am grateful for Wim Vader's clear and rational comment on the
potential benefits gained from banding studies - ie the application of
the information gained to rational conservation.

Some years ago I observed members of the Vic. Wader Study Group at work
cannon-netting and banding near Queenscliffe. There were two catches -
one of Pied Oystercatchers and another of smaller waders inc.
Double-banded Plover and Red Knots.

I was impressed by the care taken to safeguard the birds from harm. I
can well believe that casualties are possible but I saw none. The birds,
once disentangled from the net, were placed in holding cages covered
with sacking, to keep them out of the cold wind and from the frightening
sight of humans at close quarters.

The small waders were sorted by size and placed in separate holding
cages. They were caught late in the day and then processed; most were
released after dark. I think this must have greatly reduced the chance
of predation, but obviously time of capture and release depends on the
tide. All the same, I agreed with a friend that carrying the birds away
from the scene and releasing them was the best part of the work.

I was very grateful for the opportunity to see waders at close quarters
and to take photos of them in the hand.

On occasion I have observed mist-netting and banding. I have not felt
much concern for birds such as Bell Miners which seem large enough to
withstand the physical and mental shocks involved.  But I was concerned
for very small birds such as Brown Thornbills and Superb Blue Wrens
which tend to bounce back through the net after the first impact,
becoming terribly entangled. The sight of a Thornbill hanging by one leg
while being gently passed back and forth through the net in the attempt
to unwind him was very distressing to me, and I am sure to the bird as
well.(Personally I would have cut the net and mended it later). The bird
was eventually removed successfully, and then placed in a bag in a warm
car, out of the wind, for half an hour so it could recuperate in peace
before being weighed, measured and banded. Before release it was given a
dose of glucose solution. It flew off apparently all right apart from
the strained leg which was hanging rather. I was assured that this would
recover but I still wonder.

Back to Pied Oystercatchers - I am concerned to see so many on the
beaches which have missing feet and damaged legs. Many of these birds
are carrying several colour bands. I am told that this species has
delicate skin on the legs and that banding injuries can lead to loss of
legs. It is distressing to see a bird battling around without both feet.
There seem to be more maimed birds about on the beaches than there were
say 30 years ago. If banding is in fact responsible, I would rather
reduce banding to a minimum than risk inflicting serious damage. (Of
course some of these injuries are from natural causes and some from
being tangled in fishing line - we should all pick up such rubbish for
safe disposal whenever we see it!)
Anthea Fleming in Melbourne