birding-aus

Glossy Ibis in Central Vic.

To: <>
Subject: Glossy Ibis in Central Vic.
From: "Bob & Sadhana Cook" <>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 21:31:29 +1100
Stuart & others

Had a fairly miserable day on the Bellarine Peninsula today (Sun. 4th Feb).  "Mainly Fine" forecast turned out to be "Mainly Rain".  Lake Lorne at Drysdale was good before the rain really set in - 3 Latham's Snipe probably the highlight, but many regulars (25 species in 40 mins).  Hospital Swamp (as per Ian Montgomery's report recently) was interesting for Golden-headed Cisticola, Yellow-billed Spoonbills, Wedge-tailed Eagle hanging around low tree branches (looked like an adult female) and a few Sharp-tailed Sandpipers, but no Crakes or Rails seen through the steady rain. (We gave up when it started running down our backs!).

Back in the dry country of Central Vic., we stopped at a small wetland/dam/swamp near Franklinford - North of Daylesford.  Highlight was a single Glossy Ibis among a very good representation of regular waterbirds and others.  Location is approx. 1 km along the Daylesford - Newstead Road from the Daylesford end (i.e. 1 km from the Midland Highway).  Approx. 37.14.00 - 144.07.00.

Bob & Sadhana Cook