birding-aus

Cannon Netting waders

To: Lawrie Conole <>
Subject: Cannon Netting waders
From: Tom Tarrant <>
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2001 22:05:18 +1000
Just saw this thread and felt a need to add to this.... I've been birding for over 20 years and seen a lot of 'banding' throughout the world but it was only after seeing 'cannon-netting' that I felt that maybe this 'study' is actually harming the cause of conservation instead of enhancing it. Many waders (Red Knot, Barwits, Curlew Sandpiper etc)  were caught (and 'processed') and on release were immediately 'targetted' by predatory terns and gulls, resulting in several deaths (unfortunately given the pressures that most species are under in this part of Australia I feel that this form of research (however well-meaning)  is actually contributing to their 'reduction'.
Sadly most of the people involved are genuinely worried about the plight of our diminishing fauna but consider their research is useful.......I wonder if we can get them to turn their attention to real issues like habitat destruction, use of pesticides, over-population, ......or is this just plain boring?.....what do you think!
Look forward to some stimulating debate (no House Crow stuff, or one-liners please!)
Tom

Lawrie Conole wrote:
John Harris wrote:

Maybe if you are so concerned but are willing to use the information
collected, you may like to get a few others toghether and go and help.
As in many situations, more hands would make life work and reduce the
lag time between capture and release.

It has been nearly 20 years since I saw a cannon net fired over waders, but
my clear recollection is that it was the leading edge of the net, carried by
the cannons, which killed birds by decapitation. Has the technique improved
now to avoid that? Otherwise, no matter how many helpers are on hand,
headless birds are dead birds.

L A W R I E C O N O L E
2/37 Myrnong Crescent, Ascot Vale, Victoria 3032 AUSTRALIA.
Phone (03) 9370 3928; BH (03) 9510 5750; Mobile (0419) 588 993.
E-mail: m("bluep.com","ocoineoil");"><>