birding-aus

Tropic-birds in Inland Queensland & Sooty Terns

To: <>
Subject: Tropic-birds in Inland Queensland & Sooty Terns
From: "Alan Morris" <>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 12:18:00 +1100
Hi Birders,
Richard Johnson's report of a Tropic-bird at Roma Queensland, reminds me of two wet days at Coonabarabran on 20-21st March 1978, when during a  Low Pressure trough that brought strong easterly winds and rain to north-east inland  NSW, it also rained Tropic-birds. Both Red-tailed (9) and White-tailed Tropic-birds (5) were blown well inland, 4 came down in Coonabarabran, but also at Dubbo, Bourke, Tamworth, Armidale, Gunnedah and Barraba! (see Aust. Birds 13.51). My advice is go out and look for more!

However, in coastal NSW, the strong easterly winds are bringing in an unusually large number of Sooty Terns. 30 were reported during the Wollongong pelagic on 27/1 & 10 on the Swansea pelagic the same day. On 19 January single birds were found at Brooms Head and Norah Head and some have also been reported on the South Coast. Yesterday, Ian Watts reported 30+ at Pimilco, 4km upstream of the Richmond River estuary near Ballina. I would be interested to hear of any more unusual seabird reports associated with the current gales that are buffeting the NSW North Coast.

Alan Morris.
NSWFOC Records Officer
tel 02 43 891390