birding-aus

House Crow

To: "Timothy Hyde" <>
Subject: House Crow
From: "Tony Russell" <>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 10:45:02 +1030
Hi Tim and others,  I really can't see the reason for this attitude of
Pizzey's. What
can one lonely crow do ? Might it cross with Little Ravens? How about a
House Crow / Fairy Wren hybrid ?
I certainly took off like a rocket last week to find it before someone
"disposed" of it.
 Did anyone "dispose "of the Blue Rock Thrush, the SIPO's, the Little Grebe,
the Short-billed Dowitcher, the Lesser Yellowlegs, the Hudsonian Godwit, the
Northern Shoveler ?? Of course not ! But surely they were all equally off
their normal territories.
 Is someone intending to "dispose" of the Collared Imperial Pigeons
currently seen on Fantome Island ?  ( Gee, that's really too far south for
them isn't it ? Shouldn't be allowed, and Hey, there's more than one, they
might
breed up - horrors ! )
We'd all be outraged if someone shot them wouldn't we, so what's so evil
about one lonely crow?  We should feel sorry for it.  Is it just that it had
the misfortune to sit too long on
a ship and get brought over by non migratory forces? So what? How can we be
sure some of the others above didn't do something similar?
Come on you "purists", give us some rationale for this "should be disposed
of" attitude. And don't give us the old story about Blackbirds and Starlings
and Mynas, they're not exactly in the same league are they.
Tony.

Adelaide birding by 4WD
phone: 08 8337 5959
e-mail: