birding-aus

RFI Spotted Quailthrush Records

To: "BIRDING_AUS" <>
Subject: RFI Spotted Quailthrush Records
From: "David & Sue Harper" <>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 22:24:28 +1030
Greetings again birding-ausers,
                                             I haven't had much feedback on reports of Spotted Quailthrush from S.A. yet (nominate form or C.p. anachoreta). I'm still hopeful there might be someone out there who knows someone who might know of someone's friend of a friend (or something like that!) that has had field experience of Spotted Quailthrush in S.A. I knew this wouldn't be easy! Any takers?

I thought I might cast the net a little wider this time. I am aware that these birds occur along the Glenelg River in Victoria and  I've been sent a record of one at the Princess Margaret Rose Caves in May last year not 2000 metres over the border(thanks Judi and Neil Russill) There has only ever been one record from the South -east of S.A. in recorded European history (1898) but the possibility remains that it still occurs there. So does anybody have any records from Lower Glenelg National Park or Rennick's State Forest area, or know where the birds are in these areas. I'd be able to assess the habitat the birds are using and then search for them in S.A. I'd be much obliged.

I'd like to stress this is not a research funded project, I'm just doing it because no-one else will.

Good Birding
David Harper