birding-aus

Birds in the heat

To: "birdingaus" <>
Subject: Birds in the heat
From: "Doug Holly" <>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 17:46:57 +1030
G'day All,
About three years ago I was involved in a bat radio tracking survey at Oakbore,Calperum Station,about 60km north of Remark S.A. in January, it was 46C and we were all sitting in the shade,two Regent Parrots settled in a nearby tree and after about 30mins. one flew to the ground,pecked about for a couple of minutes,rolled over and died,I went and picked him up and now he is in the S.A. museum.There was a lot of "very tame birds"around that day,all coming and sitting in the shade,and under the old shearers quarters where the rabbits had some holes we saw Aust.Magpies,Striated Pardalotes,Rainbow Bee-eaters and a couple of Honey-eater species all disappear deep down into these holes....and not just two or three...there was at least ten to fifteen birds went out of sight into the holes, several Bee-eaters came into the quarters....Yes they do find places to go when it is hot.We have had some "fairly warm days" here in the Riverland,over the last couple of weeks...my hottest under the verandah 51C and inside 43C I don't have airconditioning...I "tough it out with the birds" ..but I do turn on the low-pressure sprinklers and I sit and watch a lot of species enjoy the pleasure of water( even Sand Goanas and Sleepy Lizards) they all know when the water is on.......Cheers All  Doug Holly.