birding-aus

Bush Stone-Curlews at Russell Is

To: "Gloria Glass" <>, "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Bush Stone-Curlews at Russell Is
From: "Helen Horton" <>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 07:40:10 +1000
Dear Gloria

Just to set your mind at rest about the status of Bush Stone-curlews on Moreton Bay islands, there was a count of these birds done on Coochiemudlo Is. in January 1998 that produced a total of 33 adult birds plus 13 juveniles, with at least 9 confirmed breeding pairs on the island.  The count was done by the Redlands Council environmental officer plus birdwatchers on the island.
Coochie is actually quite a small island and this is an incredible number for the size of the island.

I should think there would be a reasonable population on Macleay Is. also as it has a fair amount of suitable habitat, and Lamb also certainly has birds.

Best wishes from an ancient North Qld associate.

Helen Horton