birding-aus

RFI Anglesea birding locations

To: <>
Subject: RFI Anglesea birding locations
From: "Tim Dolby" <>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 14:27:18 +1100
Hi Steve,

Looks like we may have dipped on the Painted Snipe! Oh well, next time.

Quite a few good spots around Angelsea, particularly for heath type birds. In
brief:

1. There's a small wetland about a km inland from the mouth of the Angelsea
river, not sure of the name. Good spot for seeing Southern Emu Wren. Probably
the best spot in walking distance.

2. Rufous can be see at the Aireys Inlet Lighthouse (not far from Angelsea) -
best time early to late afternoon. Nice view of the coast, and general Seal
frolicking around the rocks. There's also an excellent coffee shop - good for
the family - and a delightful shed next to the lighthouse. To get their you
pass a little wetland (just beside the Ocean Rd),  which is surprisingly good.
Latham's Snipe and you may score on the Crake!

* Rufous is also common around a couple of coastal towns on the Ocean Rd,
particularly Seperation Creek (next to Wye River). Seen and heard commonly on
the hilly streets. Also a good spot for Satin Bowerbirds.

3. Pt Addis - which is just down the road, is one of the best bird spots in the
area, SEW and all the local H/E, including Tawny Crowned. Also probably the
best swimming beach on the area. There is a 3/4 walk, plus a shorter walk to
the beach.

4. Out the back of Angelsea there's plenty of some of Victoria best heath land.
There's a back road which runs parallel to the Ocean Rd (not sure of the name -
 don't have a map - maybe someone can help), which is worth a drive. A few
interesting spots along it, including a few water reserves which are generally
full of waterfowl - maybe Pink-eared if your lucky and Shoveler. There is also
a little forest reserve with a bird hide!

5. Also the golf course is good, famous for the Kangaroo that lounge around the
course.

6. If you go the Bellarine (you mentioned Lake Conewarre, I actually recommend
Edward's Point at Point Leonards. Definitely the best place on the Pen. But it
is a bit of a long drive from Angelsea. I recommend you stay in the area.

7. A few nice walks around Lorne, Erskine Falls, and as few others. The walk to
the Fall is 5k, but you can also drive.

Not much chance in regards to the Geese - best spots are near Warrnambool. Also
Beautiful Firetail is a bit hit and miss.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you go.

Tim

>>> <> 01/11/01 02:28PM >>>

G'day all

My family and I are off to Anglesea (south west of Geelong, Victoria) for a
week's holiday from the 20th January.

I've found some information in the birding-aus archives but would appreciate
more detailed information on some of the good birding spots within an hour's
drive.  This would allow me to visit places like Angahook forest, Lake Conewarre
and the lakes around Winchelsea.  To my shame I don't know any of these places
so any advice would be most welcome.  If any of you live down that way or are on
holidays in the area how about we get together for a few hours birding?  I'd
love to see the mythical Spotless Crake and Lewin's Rail.  Waders in gereral,
Cape Barren Geese, Heathwrens, Beautiful Firetails, Satin Bowerbirds, Rufous
Bristlebirds etc. would also be much appreciated.

Cheers

Steve

Steve Clark
45 Carmichael Street, Hamilton, Victoria, 3300
www.ansonic.com.au/clarks/sw_birds.htm