birding-aus

*Feathers* and *Schools*

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: *Feathers* and *Schools*
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 19:08:18 -0800 (PST)
G'day All especially Cere Hugo,

Nice item from our own George Kneecaps last night eh?
on "Muttonbird small death numbers" judgement still
out eh? but it is going to be a very long process.

Subject matter change:

Perhaps Hugo a BA competiton for ALL Oz schools eh?
re:
the last item? :-] ..................................

My good friends the Dunn's sent me this asking could I
let all Oz teachers know what they are getting up to
on the other side of the big pond.

CLEAN FEATHERS ARE CRUCIAL to birds being able to stay
warm in cold weather and cool in warmer weather. The
barbules of the feathers interlock to provide
insulation. They must be clean to be able interlock.
So even in cold weather, birds need to bathe to keep
their feathers in proper "working order."

*************** From the E-MAILBAG *******************

Elementary schools are doing amazing things with
birdfeeding and technology! Below is a letter from
Karen A. Vitek, a teacher at Nassau School in
Poughkeepsie, NY, whose students run a website and a
"Classroom Birdfeeder Cam Project".

Check out their fantastic site at:

http://www.you-click.net/GoNow/a11740a28961a7854182a6

Here's Karen's letter:

"Dear Duncraft,
My students and I thank you for your donation and
support of our project. It has won two awards: New
York State winner of Compaq's Teaching with Technology
Awards, and Grand Prize Winner of Classroom Connect's
and the International Society of Technology
Education's MasterSearch Contest, recognizing ours as
the best use of the Internet for developing curriculum
and lesson plans." A big thank you to the kids for
sharing your project with us: Anthony N., Brandi,
Mark, Justin, Nahah F., Anthony J., Ryan, Kwamei,
Scott, Nichole, Matthew, Twyla, Shannon and Yo!

You have a great feeding area!

Wonder what those very very clever Oz children will
come up with eh? :-]

John A. Gamblin time to drink more water and give some
to those outside.