birding-aus

Duck Hunting! Who is in the right?

Subject: Duck Hunting! Who is in the right?
From: "Night Parrot" <>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 05:44:29 -0000
With a litle bit of luck, perhaps the Gypsy Jokers might visit the Robe Council chambers on their way out of town!

From: Jenny May <>
CC:
Subject: [BIRDING-AUS] Duck Hunting!  Who is in the right?
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 02:27:40 -0800 (PST)

A few years ago, my husband and I were staying near
Robe, SA.   A few kilometers out of town was a small
council picnic area next to a beautiful swamp.   At
the base of some rushes nearby and in full view of the
picnic spot, we found a good place to observe Lewin
Rails and frequenting the same reed bed were five
Wite-eyed Duck, two adult birds and three almost fully
grown young.

We frequently visited this site in the few weeks that
we stayed at Robe.   One Saturday morning in early
February while we were watching the ducks a car pulled
up and a man in the passenger seat who we recognised
as the local mayor jumped out with a shotgun and fired
rapidly at the ducks killing or maiming all of them.
His mate then jumped out of the car also with a gun
and ran down the bank into the water where he chased
the wounded birds into the reed bed where the rails
were living.  More shots rang out and the shooter
emerged with one dead duckling.

We were incensed by this and my husband needed to be
restrained while he was confronting the Mayor who
produced a hunting permit.   We duly returned to Robe
to report the incident to the Police and in the
discussion that followed, it was pointed out to us in
no uncertain manner (under threat of arrest for
assault), that the hunting permit gave the shooter a
right to take the ducks up to the bag limit and we had
no right to stop him.   We felt we knew these ducks,
but because we did not want to kill them we had no
right to them at all.