birding-aus

Droughts and Floods

To: <>
Subject: Droughts and Floods
From: "Julie Lynn McLaren" <>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 20:53:25 +0930
Hello All,
Here in the Cunnamulla district we are experiencing a wonderful early start to the summer. There have been lots of people who have had 10 to 14 inches of rain and lots who have had from 50 points to 2 inches, maximum, including us.Because of the heavier falls upstream, the Warrego River is flooding. Below the town of Cunnamulla the forecasters are predicting moderate to major flooding and yesterday we had to get a helicopter in to rescue some cattle. The area that the cattle were in is 20,000 acres and there is already 10,000 of those under water and we are still probably 4 or 5 days from the peak.In the last 4 or 5 days I have noticed that a lot of birds have disappeared from the house environs, apart from a few Honeyeaters,Corellas, Willies, Flycatchers, Tree-creepers and the Kookas.Where have they all gone? There is plenty of food here for them.I saw 6 Pelicans fly over yesterday, heading East.
The Warrego is going to flood out into our creek[Gumholes] and what a wealth of water birds we are going to have, with the creek and billabongs all full.
Cheers,
Julie.

Julie McLaren.
"Bowra", Cunnamulla,Qld.4490