birding-aus

Can you recommend a club to join please?

Subject: Can you recommend a club to join please?
From: "Tracey Austin" <>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 11:39:57 GMT
Hello birding friends

The recent discussion has prompted me to write this note. I am new to birdwatching and I live in a remote town in the NT. I intend to join Birding Australia soon but I also want to join a second national bird club. Could members discuss some aspects of the various clubs including what the various clubs offer their remote country membership. I am looking for a club that shares general birding info, is inclusive and involves all its membership and is not too expensive. Also one that is involved with good national habitat conservation projects.

However a friend of a friend who is also a remotely based birdwatcher has been a member of one group (Victorian based I think)since the early 1960's. She is very dissapointed with her club and intends to resign soon after more than 35 years because she says it has become very expensive and apparently she gets very little for her membership. Apparently this particular club used to have a reduced rate for country membership which allowed for reduced access to club facilities and functions but now they offer nothing for their remote members and she feels that she is just subsidising advantaged city members now. Apparently the only thing her club has ever sent her in more than 30 years was a windscreen sticker when she joined and you can imagine what that looks like now. She also tells me that the newsletter is more than 50% full of commercial advertisements too and also that in all the time of her membership, there has never been one issue circulated to country members for comment or input. I hope that there are some other clubs that are better than that so could members discuss and recommend the options please.

Thank you in anticipation

Tracey Austin