birding-aus

Birding publicity

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Birding publicity
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 10:34:32 +0800

Others have answered some of Ralph Reid's questions.  But some more ....

1.  Rear window stickers.

I know that when I joined Birds Australia (RAOU in those days) and BOCA
that I received stickers.  However I have since replaced my car, and RAOU
have changed their name.  Being in WA it is difficult to just drop in to
the Melbourne offices and pick up a sticker while I am there for other
purposes.  From memory, the Birds Australia WA office does not have the BA
stickers??  I'm sorry but I am not motivated enough to call or write to the
Melbourne offices just to get stickers.  So maybe they can send out a
sticker with each year's membership, or even with each Wingspan / Bird
Observer.

2.  Links to bird sites

Peter Waanders explained this well.  As a developer of a web site it is not
my responsibility to go searching all over the web for sites to link to.
It is my responsibility to let others know of my site so that they can link
to it, and I will reciprocate if it matches the aims of my web site.  My
web pages are specifically for Birding in Western Australia.  However while
WA is the main focus, I do include links to bird sites elsewhere in
Australia and some related organisations.  I have had a link to Terry
Pacey's site for a while.  I will add a link to HBOC.

To some extent, I don't need to link to every site, provided that there is
a central site which has them all.  e.g. birding-aus or maybe Birds
Australia.  Then provided I include a link to the cntral site, then anyone
interested will be able to follow the link and discover what else is out
there.

There are also mechanisms called web rings.  I haven't put my web site in
any of these because the required link does not fit neatly into my design.

So while I am here, anyone is welcome to link to :

Frank O'Connor's Birding Western Australia
http://www.iinet.net.au/~foconnor

3.  Search Engines

You need to submit your web site to the search engines before they get
picked up.  The hardest part is to find the search engines, but once there
it is an easy process.

Once you are on a search engine, then there are ways to make your site
easier to find.  Peter Wanders mentioned KEYWORDS.  This is a META-TAG that
you can add to each page.  In the old days you entered BIRD or whatever a
100 times and that put you ahead of whoever included it 99 times!!  The
search engines are smarter these days.  You should still use the KEYWORDS
meta-tag, and you should also use the DESCRIPTION meta-tag.

What I haven't quite worked out if whether the search engines all keep up
to date with the changes and especially the new pages to my web site??

I am investigating a local search engine Xavatoria for my web pages.  It
has an algorithm that values keywords at 25, description at 10 and part of
the page itself at 1 point.  Hopefully I will have configured this soon and
include the search page in my web pages.

Sorry for some of the technical details for those of you who are not web
page developers, but I would hope that you would have hit the Delete button
before now ......  :-)