birding-aus

RFI: Visit to Australia

To: birding-aus posts <>
Subject: RFI: Visit to Australia
From: Stephan Terblanche <>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 15:49:06 +0200
Hallo from South Africa

I hope to be visiting Australia for about 4 weeks from about mid-February to
mid-March 2001. Two weeks will mainly be for work, and will allow for
birding
only in between such commitments. Naturally this means that birding will be
limited to spots in or very close to Perth, Sydney, Melbourne and Canberra.
For the other two weeks my wife and I would like to visit more of Australia,
see the sights and as many birds as possible.

I would really appreciate any advice that any of you could give us. We do
not want to travel too much, would prefer not to have to fly about, but
would nevertheless want to cover as many different habitats as are necessary
to find a substantial variety of different Australian birds. Since it will
only be the two of us, and we suffer from having a currency that is not
particularly strong,
we are not in a position to join a professionally guided trip.

I have already been on the internet, and have found much useful information.
I also have the Rough Guide to Australia. I will therefore be able to find
more detail if you could just point us in the right direction.

Perhaps the most pressing piece of information that we need relates to the
best field guide available for someone with no experience of Australian
birds.

Thank you very much

Stephan Terblanche
Faerie Glen