birding-aus

Wompoo Fruit Dove & Swifts near Sydney NSW

To: "Allan Morris" <>
Subject: Wompoo Fruit Dove & Swifts near Sydney NSW
From: Andy Burton's Bush Tours <>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 14:46:06 +1000
Hi Allan,

perhaps we should all be keeping our eyes and ears tuned in for Wompoos because a juvenile turned up in Castlecrag this morning  ca 100 m west of 33° 47.895´ S   151°  13.375´ E.

Observed for about 10 minutes by Peter Moffit from his house which abuts Castlecrag Escarpment Reserve, on Sailors Bay, Middle Harbour. I visited the area and although I did not find this bird I found what was almost certainly a fresh Powerful Owl roost (they are resident in the area) and of lesser note two Channel-billed Cuckoo passed overhead.

Do you have a list of records for Wompoo Pigeons in the County of Cumberland, Allan?

It's good to see that the suburban, Willoughby Council area continues to produce interesting birds. There's hope yet.

regards, Andy

Hi Birders,
Wompoo Fruit-Doves are very rare visitors to Sydney, NSW and so it is interesting to report that an immature bird has been feeding in Ficus hilli at the Ku-ringai Council Nursery 430 Mona Vale Rd Mona Vale . The contact is Ross Rapmund tel 0409 035570. The bird has been present since 15 October although it has not been seen today.
Today I saw my first Spine-tailed Needletails for the season, at Gwandalan on the southern Shores of Lake Macquarie over 80 birds were seen feeding above the change moving in from the west at about 1200 hrs, and at 1300 hrs in nearby Munmorah SRA small numbers were seen flying low over the coastal dunes.

Alan Morris
NSWFOC Records Officer

--
Andy Burton's Bush Tours